Parent Council Meeting Thursday, Sept. 24 Minutes.
1. Meet Karen Jordan, Pape’s new principal
From Karen “Thank you so much for making it out to our First Parent Council Meeting. It is fantastic to meet so many of you in person.”
- Communication was one of the topics discussed. We plan to use email as often as we can as well as using our school website. We will also send paper copies to families who need it, including translated pieces as well.
- Karen has been sending quick updates each Friday and plans to keep that up for as long as it is helpful.
- We are working to update our school website with:
- up to date information about school happenings
- links to the school calendar of events
- teachers’ websites
- the Parent Council website, http://papeave.ca/
- Pape Children’s House, our Parent and Family Literacy Centre
- There is also a link on the home page to Pape’s Running Club with up to date information
- Here is the link: http://schoolweb.tdsb.on.ca/
- Currently the School Calendar Tab has the dates for all of our tribes assemblies, our concert dates and all of our parent council meeting dates. As we approach each event, more details will be available when you click on the events.
2. Hoot & Howl – Christine Gullage and PC co-chairs
Hoot n’ Howl – see attached flyer.
- October 24th, from 11-3pm (rain or shine!) Mark your calendars!! Tell your friends!!
- One of the only area Fall Fun Fairs, the Hoot draws attendees from all local schools
- Largest fundraiser for our school and will have pony rides, firetruck, book sale, games, haunted house, bake sale, Raffle Draw and much more!
- This is a great way to get involved in the school community
- We need Volunteers to help make the day a HUGE success!! To sign up please visit http://papeave.ca/
volunteering/sign-up/?sheet_ id=7 or email Christine at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info
- Raffle Tickets will be going home Friday Oct 2. Please check your child’s back pack.
3. Silent Auction – Jen Carson
- We’re excited to move the Silent Auction to it’s own night this year on Friday, November 20th!! Mark your calendars and book your baby-sitters…this is an adults only event!!
- We’ll need a lot of help on and before that day to make it happen. Please sign up to help make this a FANTASTIC and FUN event for parents, friends and neighbours of Pape PS! http://papeave.ca/
- We are looking for a couple of people to sign up and volunteer to hit local businesses for donations. Packages will be ready by the end of the week to hit the pavement!
The Parent Challenge
We challenge you to THINK BIG – We really want parents to get “bigger ticket” items through personal and professional contacts, ie: sports tickets, entertainment, activities/camps/classes for kids, spa services, electronics/tech, cottage weeks/weekends… Please reach out to anybody you know that could donate something of value and interest that would attract multiple bidders. If you have something smaller you could donate, like new/unused boxed small appliances, artwork, hand-made artisan crafts, gifts or toys we’d love those as well!
Please visit and LIKE our facebook page for updates and new donations: https://www.facebook.com/
4. Pace Car initiative – Nancy Kallina
Traffic speed is a concern for parents of the community
- We would like to launch the Pace Car program to our school community
- Pace Car is a program designed by Parachute Canada to encourage drivers to promote safe streets
- Pace Car drivers must commit to drive the speed limit on residential and school zone streets and display a window decal to indicate that they are a Pace Car.
- Pace Car drivers must sign a pledge and a sign-up sheet and then they are given a window decal
- The Pace Car is like a mobile speed hump forcing cars behind them to also drive the speed limit
- The mission is to change the mindset of drivers to accept that driving the speed limit in residential streets is mandatory
- All local school have been approached and presenting the concept to their parent council. The hope is to have a full Riverdale initiated program.
- Paula Fletcher’s office is in full support.
- Those in attendance supported the program and accepted it as one that will be promoted as Pape PS. Nancy allowed those interested to sign up and was able to distribute about 15 window clings that were available. More window clings will be ordered and distributes soon.
To learn more please visits: http://www.parachutecanada.
Other items: some families had not received the Pape Parent Council Brochure that went home this week. Please find attached. There is a calendar with a list of event taking place this year. We have secured a grant for this brochure and there will be a translated version…Coming Soon!
Thank you for coming. We hope to see you at the next PPC meeting Oct 8, 6:30 in the library. Baby sitting and translation services available.
Pape Parent Council
Want to know more about Pape Parent Council? Please see http://PapeAve.ca our activities.
Parent Council contacts
Bridget Belton, Parent Council Co-Chair; email@example.com
Brenda Torrance, Parent Council Co-Chair; firstname.lastname@example.org
Rocky Tesa, Parent Council Co-Chair; email@example.com
DJ Carson and Karen Hunter, Co-Treasurers
Please visit Pape Parent Council website
Pape School contacts
Karen Jordan, Principal; firstname.lastname@example.org
Rose Marie Hall, Office Administrator; RoseMarie.Hall@tdsb.on.ca