Parent Council meeting
- Welcome (Danielle and Tanya)
- Upcoming events (Tanya and Danielle)
- Presentation by member of East End Parents for Public Education
- Presentation by Karen Jordan, developing a new Code of Conduct
- Upcoming events include:
- Staff appreciation breakfast, June 4/19, at 8:00. Parents are encouraged to bring sweet/savoury items to the staff lounge as a gesture of appreciation to all the Pape staff (approx. 30 staff in total). Store-bought items welcome! Volunteers needed for clean-up afterwards.
- Play Days: Kinder play day is on Wed., June 12/19, 9-11:30. Grades 1-6 play day is on Fri., June 14/19, 9-11:30. Volunteers encouraged to sign-up on the Parent Council website.
- 1stAnnual Pape Movie Night will be on Fri., June 14/19, in the gym. $2 per person admission. Popcorn, pizza and drinks will be available for sale; pizza/admission can be pre-paid. Doors open at 6, movie to start at 6:30. Bring your own pajamas, blankets, mats to sit on. All children must be supervised by an accompanying adult; this is not a drop-off event and no child-minding is available. Permission forms to go home with children. Movie TBA (to be voted on by the kids), but will be appropriate for all ages.
- Grade 6 graduation on Wed., June 26/19. Opportunity for students/families to meet/mingle in the library, ceremony to follow in the gym. Volunteers needed! Pape tradition is for parents of grade 5 students to organize/run the event, allowing grade 6 parents to relax and enjoy. Volunteer sign-up sheets to come.
- End-of-the-year party/last day of school celebration, on Thurs., June 27/19. Location TBA, but will be a house in the neighbourhood. All are welcome and there will be babysitters on site. Potluck and bring-your-own-beverages.
A reminder that Pape fundraising and other activities happens only with parent volunteers! Positions open for next year include Parent Council Co-Chair, Co-Treasurer, Graphics and Design Co-Chair. Volunteering is a great way to support Pape’s fantastic culture and your kids love to see you involved and engaged! Also a great way for parents of families that are newer to Pape to benefit from the experience of parents that are passing on the baton of running events.
- Preethy from East End Parents for Public Education spoke about the group’s endeavours to express parents’ concern re the provincial government’s budget cuts and policy changes to public education, including a $25million short-fall in the TDSB budget. East End Parents provided a template letter outlining these concerns. The attendees of the Parent Council meeting agreed unanimously for Pape Parent Council send a modified version of the letter to local/provincial politicians and TDSB officials. East End Parents also provided a second template letter of staff appreciation, which will be sent by Pape Parent Council to Pape staff.
A “walk-in” is proposed for Thurs., June 6/19: parents/students are invited to meet outside before school to mingle and bring homemade signs to show their love and support of Pape School and public education. Details TBA in the Parent Council newsletter.
- Karen Jordan discussed the ongoing process of developing a new Code of Conduct for Pape, with student and staff engagement. Grade 1-6 classrooms have been discussing safety, responsibility and respect, and how these behaviours can be demonstrated in different school settings (yard, classroom, hallways, washrooms, lunchroom). Parents will be invited to review their suggestions from their child/ren’s classrooms and provide input.
Next meeting: next school year