Our first big club of the year will be starting ASAP: Pape’s Running Club.
Welcome to another exciting season of Running Club at Pape Ave. P.S. The 2018 season is gearing up to be one of the best yet with well over 100 students expected to participate.
Here’s what you need to know about this year’s program.
What is the Pape Avenue Running Club?
The Pape Avenue Running Club is an inclusive, fun and safe program for Grade 1-6 Students. Everyone is welcome to participate for the duration of the Club (September and October).
The goal of the Running Club is to offer a program that provides students with a fun & safe environment that helps them reach their goals – whether it’s daily exercise or their athletic potential. All students that participate in the Running Club are eligible (it is optional) to participate in the TDSB Cross Country Meet scheduled in October.
Who runs the program?
The Club is led by Ms. Navratil and supported by many great teachers and many committed parent coaches who dedicate their time for the first month of school to help our kids develop a love of running and help them achieve their goals.
When are the practices?
- Training days are Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays
- Practices start at 7:55am (SHARP) and run to 8:40am
|THE FIRST PRACTICE WILL BE HELD ON MONDAY,
SEPTEMBER 10TH ON THE TRACK AT PAPE.
WE ALSO ASK THAT ALL PARENTS STICK AROUND UNTIL 8:15AM FOR A BRIEF COACHES/PARENT MEETING
Where are the practices held?
- Grades 1 & 2: Every practice for Grades 1 & 2 are held on the track and field at Pape Avenue.
- Grades 3-6: (IMPORTANT TO NOTE) Starting Tuesday, Sept 11th, practices for children in Grades 3-6 will be held entirely offsite at Withrow Park to offer a broader terrain. These offsite training sessions will be led by Parent Coaches + 1 Teacher to ensure a safe practice and transport back to the school.
- The meeting sport for students in Grades 3-6 is at the Clubhouse at the south end of the soccer field. The closest intersection is Carlaw & Dingwall (map is on the reverse).
- A designated Pape Teacher will pick up PCH kids at 7:45am in order to walk those children to Withrow. PCH Parents will have to communicate directly with PCH in order for their child(ren) to be released.
What if it rains?
Running Club will take place outside in the event of light rain. If there is lightning or if it is raining heavily, practice will move indoors. On days where there is heavy rain or a chance if rain, we will send out and e-mail from the PAPEAVERUNCLUB Gmail account confirming the exact location of practice by 7:30am.
Preparation for the TDSB Cross Country Meets
One of the outcomes of the Running Club is to prepare students (those who opt in) for the School Board’s Cross Country Meet, held the first week of October. This meet brings the local schools together for a great day of running and team spirit. The Running Club practices are designed to make sure our students are well equipped for a safe and successful outcome from the meet.
- South Conference Meet – Oct. 2, 3 or 4 (all who would like to participate)
- South Finals Meet – Monday, Oct. 15 (for select runners who have placed – Grades 3-6)
- City Finals Meet – Thursday, Oct. 25th (for select runners who have placed – Grades 4-6)
With such a large turnout, the success and safety of our program depends on the mutual respect and co-operation of all coaches and students. Please, encourage your children at all times to respect our coaching staff, their peers and the integrity of the program. If this becomes a concern, parent(s) will be contacted by a member of the school staff to review the situation.
There will be a meeting for parents at the first practice on Monday, September 10th. We will meet on the field (or Gym, if it is raining) to review the schedule, dates for the Cross Country meets, and expectations and answer any questions about the season.
- Permission forms are due back by Friday, Sept. 7th.
Are you interested in helping out?
To ensure a safe running program, we are looking for parent volunteers to monitor the corners around the park. To sign up, please, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the running program, check out http://papeave.ca/extra-
The Running Club Team